Grimaldi has acquired 20 hectares of space at the Dutch port of Amsterdam with the intention of importing new vehicles to northern Europe.

The maritime logistics provider acquired the ground, which includes storage areas, warehouses and logistics areas, as well as two quays – through its subsidiary Amsterdam Multipurpose Terminal (AMT). The subsidiary recently bought it from EMA and has secured a 20-year concession at the port.


Vehicle handling is set to increase at the port of Amsterdam

Grimaldi owns 80% of AMT, the other 20% is owned by TMA Holding, a Dutch logistics operator that manages terminals and warehouses.

“Our investment in the port terminal indicates the willingness of our group to strengthen its position in the port of Amsterdam,” said AMT president Guido Grimaldi.

Currently, Amsterdam forms part of Grimaldi’s Central Express service and it moves rolling stock, containers, general and project cargo between northern Europe and west Africa through the port and has been using the port for 25 years.

“We will aim to facilitate the development of the port, improving the services offered to the Dutch market and businesses, while exploiting and enhancing its great potential as a multimodal logistic hub, thanks to the numerous road, rail, sea and river connections to and from the rest of Northern Europe,” Grimaldi added.

With the acquisition of the terminal Grimaldi aims to make Amsterdam a regional hub, not only for services between Europe and West Africa service, but also potentially services to South America. According to the port authority, Amsterdam port will also act as a transhipment port for Tilbury (UK), Scandinavia and the Baltics. Grimaldi also has the chance to bring its North America service to Amsterdam, all of which promises to boost finished vehicle handling at the port.