Renault has held a two-day hackathon designed to decarbonise and bring efficiency to the automotive supply chain with the top prizes going to projects focused on shared data and routes.


Called Reboot the Supply and set up by Renault’s supply chain global vice-president, Jean-François Salles, the event was designed to stimulate the creativity of the carmaker’s supply chain management team, alongside partners from other companies, including logistics and transport providers. Among the partners attending included Air Liquide, EDF, Engie and Total, as well as Breger, Ceva Logistics, HMR and XPO. 

The event was held at the PwC Experience Center on April 6-7. 

Six teams of between eight and nine people competed on projects that the carmaker wants to implement by 2035. Those projects were inspired by design fiction exercise based on three types of future scenario: environmental crash, technological disruption and sobriety. 

Alongside Jean-François Salles on the jury were: Florence Ughetto, sustainable logistics expert at Renault Group; Anthony Briant, director of the Ecole des Ponts Paris Tech; Valentina Carbone, professor of sustainability and supply chain management at the ESCP business school, and Cécile Desjardins, deputy editor-in-chief of politics and business magazine l’Opinion.

Jean François Salles is VP supply chain at Renault Group

Jean-François Salles, global vice-president of supply chain at Renault Group, led the jury at Renault’s recent Hackathon on sustainable logistics

The jury’s grand prize was given to the Transport’us project, which looked at the creation of a shared database that would make visible the different transport routes used by carmakers and their logistics partners with the aim of designing an efficient charging infrastructure. It would aim to develop a web platform for pooling and consolidating transport operations on certain roads. Renault could, for example, take 80% of the flows on all the predefined routes and make the remaining 20% of the volume available to other shippers via a platform operated by a 4PL. The project would help convince both energy companies and transport providers to invest in charging infrastructure and electric trucks respectively.

Another prize was given to the Beyond Carbon project, seeking to bring together various shippers, transporters, local authorities, energy companies and institutional bodies to scale up the decarbonisation of logistics. That consisted of creating a shared network of logistics hubs and eco-responsible transport lines in the region by 2028 via an economic interest grouping (EIG).

Jean-François Salles said the selected projects will now be taken forward with practical applications.

Watch our interview with Jean-François Salles in which he details the roll-out plan for the carmaker’s digital control tower, and how it is integrating data to predict issues and mitigate disruption