Aluminium supplier Novelis expects to restart hot mill in summer 2026 after fires caused disruption in 2025
On February 11, 2026, aluminium rolling and recycling specialist Novelis issued an update regarding restoration progress at its hot mill in Oswego, New York, after a fire at the site in September last year caused structural damage, and another fire in November delayed plans to reopen in December 2025. The hot mill is now expected to restart late in the second quarter of 2026.
Novelis originally intended to restart the Oswego hot mill in December 2025, but now expects to restart operation in late Q2 2026
Novelis
The initial
fire broke out on September 16, 2025, requiring major reconstruction. Then just
two weeks after Novelis announced “substantial
progress in the recovery and rebuilding of the Oswego plant’s hot mill” and
confidence in restarting the hot mill before the end of the year, a
second significant fire started on November 20 which meant that the hot
mill has been unable to restart as yet in 2026.
Now, Novelis has provided greater clarity about the hot mill’s
much-anticipated restart, claiming that while there is “still much work ahead
in the site restoration process”, it expects to restart the Oswego hot mill
late in the second quarter of this calendar year, followed by a ramp-up period.
“We are aggressively leveraging our global footprint and
third-party sources to serve our customers while we simultaneously restore the
Oswego plant to full operation,” said Steve Fisher, president and CEO of
Novelis. “Based on work to-date, we expect to restart the Oswego hot mill late
in the second quarter of calendar 2026.”
Novelis is still conducting analysis as to what caused the
fire in September, but currently believes several factors could have
contributed to its outbreak, such as the composition and characteristics of the
coil, as well as lubricants in the mill and surrounding structure. As for the
fire in November, the cause is still under investigation.
OEM impact
After the fire in November, Novelis and one of its biggest
automotive customers, Ford, issued a joint statement that outlined that
finished material was still being shipped from the facility to Ford and that
Novelis would “continue to leverage alternate sources, including its global
network of plants and industry peers, to mitigate impact” – something it still
emphasises it is doing as of February 2026.
Ford’s production strategy shifted significantly at the end
of last year: first announcing plans to increase
production of its F-150 and F-Series Super Duty models by more than
50,000 units in 2026 to recover losses from the fire and meet customer demand;
then making the decision to end
production of the aluminium-intensive F-150 Lightning electric truck.
The F-150 Lightning would be replaced by an extended range
EV model as part of Ford’s expansion of its powertrain mix and broader shift towards
“higher-return opportunities". Employees working on the F-150 Lightning
had already been redeployed to Ford’s Dearborn Truck Plant to support a third
crew for F-150 ICE and hybrid truck production as a result of the Novelis
fires.
During a February 10 earnings call, Ford president and CEO
Jim Farley alluded to a “$2 billion headwind for Novelis fires”, also noting a
net tariff impact of $2 billion. On the bottom line, Ford generated $6.8
billion of adjusted earnings before interest and taxes (EBIT) for the full year
of 2025.
Sherry House, Ford’s chief financial officer, shared an
optimistic view for the year ahead. “We expect year-over-year improvement of
about $1 billion, which is back half weighted,” she said. “This includes $1.5
billion to $2 billion of temporary costs, including tariffs, to ensure
continuity in aluminium supply. These costs are not expected to be repeated in
2027.”
House elaborated: “There will be tariffs and premium freight
associated with that supply continuity of aluminium until we can get the
Novelis hot mill back up and running sometime between May and September.”
In the February earnings call, House confirmed a production
loss of 100,000 units over the course of 2025, and asserted that Ford remains
committed to plans to increase production by 50,000-60,000 units in 2026 to counter
this.
A 2024 SEC filing from Novelis listed its major customers in
the automotive sector as: Ford Motor Company; General Motors; Honda Motor
Company; Hyundai Motor Corporation; Jaguar Land Rover; NIO;
Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi Alliance; Rivian; Stellantis; Toyota Motor
Corporation; Volkswagen Group; and Volvo Cars.
However, with the exception of Ford, no other OEM has
publicly reported specific financial losses from the Oswego fires.